FOCUS at UNGASS 2016
The United Nations General Assembly Special Session (UNGASS) on drug policy takes place next week in New York City. This Special Session is an important milestone in achieving the goals set in the policy document of 2009 “Political Declaration and Plan of Action on International Cooperation towards an Integrated and Balanced Strategy to Counter the World Drug Problem”, which defined action to be taken by Member States as well as goals to be achieved by 2019.
We are pleased to announce Stephen Goldberg will be attending UNGASS as the representative for International Cannabis Standards on behalf of FOCUS.
As the first and only organization to develop comprehensive, international, third party, voluntary-consensus cannabis standards, FOCUS is honored to be involved with such an important historical event.
Topics on the agenda include:
- THE PUBLIC HEALTH ELEMENTS OF A COMPREHENSIVE, BALANCED AND INCLUSIVE DRUG POLICY
- CANNABIS AND THE CONVENTIONS: THE UNGASS AND BEYOND
- THE GLOBAL DRUG CONTROL SYSTEM AND THE SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS AGENDA
- A PUBLIC HEALTH APPROACH AS A BASE FOR DRUG POLICY: THE PORTUGUESE CASE
- ALTERNATIVE LEGAL REGIMES FOR CANNABIS: WHAT ARE THE PUBLIC HEALTH AND SOCIETAL IMPACTS?
- ADDRESSING GLOBAL DISPARITIES IN ACCESS TO CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES FOR MEDICAL PURPOSES, WITH FOCUS ON TREATMENT AND PAIN RELIEF, WHILE PREVENTING DIVERSION AND MISUSE
We look forward to sharing Stephen’s key learnings from this monumental gathering on global drug policy. Live videos, tweets and other valuable information will be available.